This section defines each of the 17 domains listed in the framework, and describes what each domain looks like at different levels of practice - from support to expert.
Each domain page contains the following information:
- an image to tell you which layer of the framework the domain comes from;
- a definition of the domain;
- a description of the behaviours, knowledge and skills that make up the domain;
- how the domain links to other domains within the framework - either domains that require the behaviours, knowledge and skills from the domain you're in; or domains that underpin the domain you're in.
- information resources to support the development of the behaviours, knowledge and skills listed in the domain
- what the behaviours, knowledge and skills listed in the domain look like at different levels - from support to expert
- cross-reference to matching sets of behaviours/knowledge/skills in the following frameworks:
- Department of Health (2004) Knowledge & Skills Framework (a generic competency framework for NHS staff);
- JNCHES (2005) Academic role profiles (a career framework for academic staff)
- NHSIII (in press) Clinical leadership competency framework (a framework defining the behaviours, knowledge and skills required for leadership in the NHS);
- PHRU (2008) Public Health Skills and Career Framework (a competency framework for practitioners in public health)
- Skills for Health (2008) Career Framework level descriptors (a generic competency framework for healthcare practitioners)
- VITAE (2009) Researchers' skills and competencies (a career framework for researchers)
You can visit a specific domain page by using the left-hand side menu bar. If you are already on a domain page, you can visit related domain pages by clicking on the hyperlinks.